Too Close For Comfort

It was freezing temperatures; the rain would not stop for anything. What was this Spring in June?! Roughing it was not easy by any means but had to make due, there is no way around it. The last thing we were going to do was stay in a hotel, that would just defeat the whole purpose of this journey. We couldn’t stop shivering. We only had one sleeping bag to share, using clothes as padding. After getting situated that first night, we were ready to doze off when we suddendly heard hooting. I thought how cool yet how annoying is this given the hour it was.

The noise kept us up until it slowly drifted afar, allowing us to get some much-needed sleep, or so we thought… It was just after 3am when out of nowhere hooting began once again, except this time sounded as though it were a few if not more causing ruckus.

Talk about waking up groggy the next morning.

The days to follow were rainy, mucky, and wet. Thinking this was bad enough, night three rolled around, and it was then that the hooting quickly turned into growling noise. Just when we thought we couldn’t get any more scared than darkness itself, it was apparent that there was more out there than imagined, not in a good way!

Dark-woods-580x375_Snapseed
Scared as can be…
We nearly jumped out of our socks, our bodies trembling. In that moment, terrified as can be we sat there frozen like statues, the growling coming closer and closer. Before we new it is rearing around the corner, in seconds was right behind our tent as a matter of fact. We had not a clue as to what it was or what to do. Realizing we were on unknown territory that clearly was not ours was very unsettling. What we thought was an owl, was not one but many coyotes.

Boy did we choose the perfect spot…

You may wonder what does one do when in this situation?                                                   There is one DIY way that can easily be done from an arms length away:

• Grab a nearby rock or stone
  •  find any kind of metal object (Maglite being our secret choice of weapon).
  • Now using the two together, clank it against one another several times, loudly.

By doing so, will help rid nearby predators. Keep in mind though it won’t keep away the noise of coyotes or possible other wildlife in the distant.

Advertisements

45 Comments Add yours

1. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

I love hearing the wildlife at night. I feel pretty good about how to handle certain situations. It’s the city wildlife that scares me! Haha! The rock and metal is smart. I do that in the presence of bears, unless I don’t think they will see me, then I hide and watch. Nature is so full of amazing experiences.
    Nice post.
    And thanks for visiting my site.
    Peace,
    Mary

Liked by 1 person

1. Well that make one of us😉 nighttime wildlife to us is unsettling, unless it’s along the lines of frogs croaking or crickets chirping. Haha I’m not sure about the comparison but I can see the scariness if the city though. So you do the same? That’s awesome😄 we wouldn’t be opposed to sitting back at times but with all the rain we’ve had no choice but to sleep with the tent canopy on, which doesn’t allow us to see outside our tent to know what animals are what. That in itself causes more fear I think in those moments

2. Great post and quite scary!

Liked by 1 person

1. That was a fearful week indeed. I think we’ve now become somewhat immune if we ever hear noise remotely close to that now. Luckily haven’t had anything remotely close to that since.

3. angelanoelauthor says:

What a wildlife adventure! I got to the end and read the rock and maglite combo and thought “Oh no! I couldn’t throw it at a coyote!” But then. . . of course! Loud noises make way more sense. Phew.

4. hntrmillr says:

Thats what its all about. Don’t grab rocks or stones, sit back and relish the moment. Coyotes up close are a rush……

Liked by 1 person

1. Too scared for that. We grabbed our defense mechanisms when we new we were in the clear and put them inside our tent for when they did approach, I mean we had to get some sleep at least lol or else we would of started to become delusional probably.

Liked by 1 person

5. This is quite a story! Gave me chills reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. You can say that again, we were so frightened. We were not expecting this to happen. Thanks for checking out our site and reading our blog:)

Liked by 1 person

1. No joke, just glad to be put of there. That’s no way to get a good nights rest than to be shrieking out of your skin every night.

Liked by 1 person

6. What an exciting time!

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s definitely exciting while at the same experiencing not so great things. But what pros doesn’t have it’s cons, right? Lol

7. AmyRose🌹 says:

We’ve had our share of scares when camping. I’m curious. Why only one sleeping bag? You just never know what to expect even if it is summer so always always brings extra gear. 😳

Liked by 1 person

1. Really? Well there really is no way around the wildlife that surrounds you when living in the mix of it all. As far as the one sleeping bag goes, well that’s another post to come lol

1. AmyRose🌹 says:

Think bears. Yep. Think running for our pickup truck. Yep. True. Unreal! LOL

Liked by 1 person

2. Oh my that’s very frightening. I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best lol

8. lam0beaner says:

Great post! That’s why I will always have a dog!

1. haha, unfortunately having a dog is not practical in our current situation. One day though. I’ve heard they make a good security guard 😉

9. MG WELLS says:

You’re still here. This is why I camp at the Hilton or wherever. Enjoy the journey!

1. Lol. Oh trust me, not anymore. But thats a whole other blog to come.

10. Made me think of the Blair Witch!

1. Ahhh, now that was indeed a spooky movie

11. You are welcome. and just take care out there.. Four legs come in all shapes and sizes.. Soooooo.
    “If you go down to the woods today
    You’re sure of a big surprise
    If you go down to the woods today
    You’d better go in disguise.
    For every bear that ever there was
    Will gather there for certain,
    Because today’s the day
    The Teddy Bears have their picnic.

Picnic time for Teddy Bears
    The little Teddy Bears
    Are having a lovely time today
    Watch them, catch them unawares
    And see them picnic on their holiday.
    See them gaily gad about
    They love to play and shout;
    They never have any cares;
    At six o’clock their Mummies and Daddies,
    Will take them home to bed,
    Because they’re tired little Teddy Bears.

If you go down to the woods today
    You’d better not go alone
    It’s lovely down in the woods today
    But safer to stay at home.
    For every bear that ever there was
    Will gather there for certain,
    Because today’s the day
    The Teddy Bears have their picnic. ”

Big smiles.. 🙂 🐻:-)

Liked by 1 person

1. Haha, thank you for the quote. it just made our day😄 hate to say but there’s some truth to these bears. Although, I really hope this never happens to us…Thank you again for the light humor and kind words. Hope you have a wonderful day🙂🐾

Liked by 1 person

12. Close encounters of the unexpected four-legged kind I bet was scary.. Thankfully in the UK no such problems..
    Many thanks for your recent visit.. And may you have many more happy hours Camping
    Regards
    Sue 😉

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh boy your lucky, maybe that’s where we ought to be camping instead lol. These encounters definitely get your adrenaline pumping w/fear. Thank you for stopping by our blog as well and wishing us good fortune when camping too🙂

Liked by 1 person

13. Great post! And what a scary experience!!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you much for checking it out and giving me your input🙂you got that right, chilling is what that was 😱

14. Scary! Bigfoot, if you ask me. Or a bear, but bears don’t hoot. Good post!

1. Thanks so much for the positive feedback. Lol Bigfoot, I’ve have yet to see one but can’t Full hearted say they don’t exist either being there’s so much unknown wildlife we have yet to discover. That would be hilarious if bears hooted.

1. Well I’m sure We’ll have many more scary mysteries to come 😀

2. Did you detect a bad smell that night? If so….. I’d say Bigfoot! 😉

3. Haha, within that frightening moment I don’t think smell was on my radar

15. Frank Hubeny says:

That does seem scary, but good advice about making the noise. What I most dislike about the critters in the woods are the mosquitoes or no-see-ems.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you for stopping by my post! It was indeed freaky. Oh yeah, mosquitos are just awful but have to say I think the moths are even worse at dark.

16. Elaine- says:

whoa… that’s scary!

Liked by 1 person

1. It really was😬 in that moment at the time, we new we were outside of our elements

17. Miriam says:

Great post. You provided awesome imagery in your words 😊

Liked by 1 person

1. Why thank you for the lovely feedback. I was a bit worried about whether or not we succeeded at bringing the experience to life for our readers. Feedback and advice is always welcome!🙂

1. Miriam says:

No worries at all. I’m sure I’ll be reading and leasing more comments once I get home from this trip too. 😊

18. bubble online says:

Sounds as a perfect adventure

Liked by 1 person

1. It is so far just trying to test the waters so to speak and get acquainted with nature with running into a few scares along the way😬